The Best Pest Control Techniques
Pest control refers to the process of managing a certain species usually of insects because of the detrimental effects on human health, agricultural products, ecology or the economy. Those can be anywhere from the ants creeping up in your kitchen to cockroaches living within buildings to insects covering an agricultural area and causing a decrease in productivity and agricultural yield. While most often, incidents occur with insects, it is possible that there will be a pest issue with bigger animals such as mice and pigeons. Controlling pests becomes necessary when you see that the problem is getting out of hand. You will see the offending species taking over a certain space and negatively impacting the environment. Pests can cause diseases that affect human health or compromise the living conditions within the area.
Since infestation most often occurs because of a human activity, perhaps the most effective method of controlling pests is to treat the problem at its root cause, by removing the original causes of the increased pest population. This will ensure that the problem is avoided in the long term. However, there are cases where this becomes very difficult. Below are examples of modern methods of pest control used by exterminators:
– Mechanical control consists of physically removing the offending species or using a barrier such as fences to prevent animals from getting into the gardens.
– Biological pest control uses predators to hunt down pests and scare them from frequenting the space. An example would be using a cat to discourage mice from coming into homes.
– Poison such as having poisoned foods to attract pests and kill them once they eat it. Slow acting poisons are carried back to the nest and kill much more.
– Pesticides are perhaps the most common ways of pest control used in agricultural areas and mostly to eliminate insects and prevent them from growing inside and eating the produce. Pesticides are widely used by exterminators as a means of treating infestations.
– Space fumigation targets all kinds of pests and is usually used when the space is badly infested. The fumes and chemicals used are usually toxic and all the residents must empty the space for few days or even weeks.
– Traps are also an effective and common pest control method used today specifically to remove rats and mice from homes. They are usually a snap trap that literally traps the animal in a device, or a glued piece of cardboard. Typically a piece of cheese is used to attract the animal.
– Eco-Friendly treatments don’t require pesticides. Both heat and freezing treatments are now being used, when there is a concern over the use of chemical pesticides.